Sunday 25 September 2016

#242 Tawny Frogmouth at Woodlands Historic Park, September 25 2016

I used to find Tawny Frogmouth at Woodlands quite easily, but I've been unable to locate them this year... until now!

I was at Woodlands yesterday when I met another regular Woodlands birder, and he was kind enough to show me where he had seen Tawny Frogmouth roosting this year. Unfortunately, there weren’t any there, but I made a note of the location and continued birding.

Then, this afternoon, I saw an eBird list for Woodlands that included a Tawny Frogmouth so I decided I would go and try my luck. My wife suggested that we all go so that our kids could see the kangaroos that are extremely common there, so we got the kids ready and headed off.

We got to the location that I was told about, but couldn’t find anything. I spent some time searching the nearby trees, but came up with even more nothing. Then, on the other side of the track, I saw a familiar looking blob on the side of the tree, extremely well camouflaged. Woo-hoo! 

#242 Tawny Frogmouth

No comments:

Post a Comment