Saturday 25 June 2016

#189 and #190 at Woodlands Historic Park, Victoria, June 26

I've attempted to get photos of Red-capped and Scarlet Robins at Woodlands a few times already, but I've had trouble even finding them, let alone getting photos. In previous years, I've found both species quite easily at Woodlands. But I fear two things have made the birds harder to find there. First, it's been quite dry - so dry that all the dams at Woodlands have been dry for a long time. Secondly, some of the bush was cleared in the exact spot that I reliably found Red-capped Robins in the past. Unfortunately, I have not seen any red-caps since that clearing. But today I managed to get photos of both species for the year list!  The Scarlett Robin is the most orange looking one I have ever seen. The Red-capped Robin was in the same area, and is the third Red-capped Robin that I've managed to photograph this year - the first was a scruffy looking juvenile that I decided not to add here - the second was a poor photo of a back-lit female - and now I'm glad I waited because I managed to get close-ish to a beautiful full-coloured male!!!

#190 Scarlet Robin

#191 Red-capped Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment