Tuesday 5 January 2016

#1 and #2 at Osprey House, Queensland, January 1 2016

I was fortunate enough to spend the end of 2015 / start of 2016 in Brisbane for a mega family event (my wife's nana turned 100 years old). This of course meant that I could photograph some non-Victorian birds to start this target:300 thing off with a bang!

As per usual, my wife graciously gave me a free day with no dad duties on January 1 to go birding. I decided to start the day by looking for a rare bird – an Asian Dowitcher. The tides were perfect for an early start, and the bird had been seen only a few days before, so I headed off towards Dohles Rocks but stopped off at Osprey House on the way. I got there just as dawn was breaking, so it was a tad dark. I put the flash on the camera, and the first bird I managed to photograph was this Australian Brush-turkey that was wandering through the car-park.

#1 Australian Brush-turkey


I wandered around looking for more photographic opportunities and found this Torresian Crow that stayed still for a few seconds.

#2 Torresian Crow
 
But the light wasn't good enough for the shore birds that were starting to come in a bit closer. I did manage a photo of a Striated Heron but it was of poor quality!

After only a quick visit I headed off down the road (only a few 100 metres) to search for that Asian Dowitcher.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26559447

No comments:

Post a Comment