Tuesday 5 January 2016

#3 to #10 at Dohles Rocks, Queensland, January 1 2016

My second stop on January 1 was at Dohles Rocks, just a few 100 metres down the road from Osprey House. There were many, many, birds calling, as it was not long after dawn. Not being a local, I was stumped by most of the calls, but I did manage to see some nice birds, but missed a few photo opportunities (White-breasted Woodswallow and Scaly-breasted Lorikeet).


#3 Masked Lapwing

#4 Australian Pelican

#5 Silver Gull
Then I saw a Brahminy Kite coming into view and readied the camera. A few sconds later it was joined by a second Brahminy Kite, and then out of nowhere came an Osprey and a Whistling Kite. All four engaged in a small scuffle, with no clear winner, and sadly no clear photos! The Brahminy Kite did hang around for a while and allow for some photos...

#6 Brahminy Kite

I ventured out across the tidal flats searching for an elusive Asian Dowitcher, but heard a bird calling from within a mangrove. I steadied the camera and got my first ever photos of a Mangrove Honeyeater (I had seen one a few days before but did not get a photo). 

#7 Mangrove Honeyeater

Then a few Crested Terns flew by...

#8 Crested Term

I wandered around the mud flats for a while, sinking into the mud and getting my feet wet on a few occasions, but couldn't find that dowitcher! I headed back to the car park and saw a few waders in close to the shore near the road. I managed to get fairly close to them as well!

#9 Whimbrel

#10 Bar-tailed Godwit

Then I decided to go back to Osprey house to see if the dowitcher was feeding there.

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26560754

No comments:

Post a Comment