Tuesday 5 January 2016

#11 and #12, back at Osprey House, Queensland, January 2 2016

I parked the car and returned to the boardwalks at Osprey House searching for a rare bird - an Asian Dowitcher, which I didn't find! I did manage to see a flock of Marsh Sandpipers feeding near the bird hide, but they were a tad too far away for any reasonable photos (ID-able, but a dog's breakfast - the light was from behind etc).

I went back to the car, but didn't get in because sitting on the power lines was a small group of Rainbow Bee-eaters, possibly my all-time favourite bird!!! Not the best photo, heavily cropped, but just good enough!

#11 Rainbow Bee-eater
The bee-eaters kept flying away and perching on the power lines as I approached, but this led me to a few more birds - Striped Honeyeater and a female Leaden Flycatcher. Unfortunately I didn't get any usable photos so I returned to the car where I heard a beautiful sound - the call of a Mangrove Gerygone. I was fortunate enough to get a nice photo of it as well!

#12 Mangrove Gerygone
I had spent more time than expected at these locations, so I gave up looking for the Asian Dowitcher and headed off to find some breakfast (McDonalds) and a new location...

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S26561393

No comments:

Post a Comment