Thursday 21 January 2016

#104 to #110 at the Western Treatment Plant, Victoria, January 21 2016

I was planning to go and do some birding in the Toolangi forest today. But I had a lot of trouble sleeping as I was sweating profusely with a fever and a general unwell feeling. I turned the alarm off and stayed in bed. I eventually got up around 8:30am, way after the 4am alarm that was meant to get me to Toolangi at dawn! I was feeling slightly better, so I decided to go to the Western Treatment Plant and look for the Red-necked Phalarope that had been reported the day before.

I arrived at the T-section ponds to find it crawling with birders. They were all converged around pond 5 so I assumed that the phalarope must be there. And it most certainly was. I got much closer to it then I ever expected as it was feeding right at the edge of the pond. This is a very rare bird for Victoria and made for one massive LIFER!!!!

Unfortunately I was getting sicker and sicker by the minute with what was now clearly a bad case of gastro. Eeeewwww. Of course I pushed myself to stay far longer than I should have, but after almost three hours I decided to go home where I pretty much slept for the rest of the day (in between frequent trips to the toilet).

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S27026997

#104 Red-necked Phalarope - LIFER!!

#105 Little Grassbird

#106 Australian Reed-warbler

#107 Yellow-rumped Thornbill

#108 Brown Falcon

#109 Golden-headed Cisticola

#110 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper

After today:
2016 year list: 206
2016 photos: 110

No comments:

Post a Comment